This moist, rich, fruit cake recipe was given to me by a friend from Australia. Serves 12.
- 175g Pitted Dates
- 115g Ready to Eat dried prunes
- 200ml Unsweetened Orange Juice
- 2tbsp Molasses or Black Treacle
- 2tsp Candied Peel
- 225g Self Raising Flour (White or Wholemeal)
- 1tsp Mixed Spice
- 115g Seedless Raisins
- 115g Golden Sultanas
- 115g Currants
- 115g Cranberries
- 3 Large Eggs
- Preheat oven to 170ºC / Gas Mark 3.
- Chop the dates and prunes and place in a pan with the orange juice. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes until very soft.
- Meanwhile grease and line a deep 20cm round cake tin.
- Remove the pan from the heat and beat the mixture with a fork till it is puréed.
- Stir in the Molasses and Candied Peel then leave to cool.
- Sift the Flour and Mixed Spice into a bowl.
- Mix the remaining Dried Fruit into the flour and make a well at the centre.
- Separate the Egg Whites and Yolks into separate bowls.
- When it is cool stir the Yolks into the Prune and Date mixture.
- Spook the Prune and Date mixture into the Flour gradually working them together with a Wooden Spoon.
- Whisk the Egg Whites until stiff.
- Gently fold the Egg Whites into the mixture using a metal spoon.
- Transfer to the baking tin.
- Cook for 1½ hours.
- Leave to cool in the tin.